09 July 2010

Day 149 - Baby Steps

Yesterday was the first day of my Phase 1: Get off the Couch training schedule. I downloaded the Couch to 5K (C25K) app for my iPhone and decided to give it a whirl.

First workout consists of a 5min warmup, 20min of walk/jogging, 5min cool down. I had some issues with the app working the way I expected it to. Its supposed to ping when I'm to start walking/running (60sec jog followed by 90s walk and so on and so forth), but if my screen locked, it didn't ping. So instead of jogging the first 60s, I missed it completely and kept walking. When I realized this, I just kept my phone in my hand, which was slightly annoying, but doable.

I was doing well.... my calves and shins starting hurting about 10min in, like they were saying "What the hell is this?!?!?" Probably didn't help that I did my Curves workout about 3 hours beforehand either. I pushed through though and continued the jog. I made the mistake of waiting until about 3pm to do this, so it felt as though I was running through the rain forest at the zoo. Bleh... I hate humidity.

I was feeling it by the time I got to run 8/8, and I just couldn't do it anymore. The ping came with the voice telling me to run... and not even thinking, I just said "Oh, F-off" (but not so politely). Turns out there was a family behind me. I felt pretty bad, but the dad just smiled and asked "running program? Way to go and good luck." That really felt good. But not good enough to start jogging. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. So I finished the walk cooldown, went back to Curves to stretch and headed home.

Day 1 wasn't bad. I've realized that this is doable. I walk/jogged 1.5 miles in about 30 minutes. I know it may to be not too exciting to others, but I'm starting small right now... baby steps, baby steps.

I never realized how shocking or unbelievable this decision is. I joke that I lost a bit of sanity when I made the decision, but some peoples reactions have left me... if not doubting... then DEFIANT!! Who are you to look at me at say "Ok... well... we'll see... good luck." Would you be more supportive if I was 70lbs lighter? Would it seem more possible in your eyes to complete this if I was already very active? I'm not doing this for your approval... I'm doing this for ME! To discover something about myself, to change a part of me, to become a better version of myself.

To quote Noxeema Jackson (Wesley Snipes) in "To Wong Foo... Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar" ... APPROVAL IS NEITHER DESIRED NOR REQUIRED!!!

but I will take your acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment