11 July 2010

Day 147 - Support from Mum... and Beyonce.

Today, somehow, I convinced Mum to come run with me today. Again, I made the mistake of running at 2:30 in the afternoon. You'd think I would've learned for the other day not to run in the middle of the afternoon... but noooo. Having Mum there was really awesome. She doesn't normally run (knee issues), but having her there was definitely a plus... and she's an phenomenal motivator.

Today was a little more difficult than Thursday. My calves started to feel numb, like I wasn't getting any circulation. It didn't "hurt" necessarily, but made life in general uncomfortable. If I stopped running and slowed down to march in place, the numbness went away. Mum suggested I drink more water, especially if I plan to keep running in the afternoon (which I don't). The good thing is that my calves are the only thing that is really bothering me while running. Yes, I'm winded... but its manageable. The numbness is really whats annoying. So I'll start with some deep calf stretches to loosen up and drink more water.

I did figure out how to work my C25K app with my Nike+. It was great having C25K pinging the pace change with Nike keeping track of the mileage. 2.5 mile walk/run today!! I still missed about 2 (maybe 3) of the run cycles, but my calves were really causing problems. Its only day 2... I'm still proud of myself.

I am on day 3 without soda... which hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be. The real test is Monday when I go back to work and soda machines are readily available. I'm planning on getting an ice tea maker and brewing a gallon of tea to take with me... and least then I won't be tempted to drink soda. I like tea better anyway.

Tomorrow I'm going to incorporate some morning yoga into my routine to help stretch my muscles and help me relax... get some deep breathing going. Then its off for another run!!

I did make an awesome Running Mix for my iPod... so running is a little more fun. I knew I was feeling good when Mum and I were doing our cool down and I was still able to start dancing to some of Beyonce's "Single Ladies!" Woah oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget to take calcium everyday to help from getting stress fractures! :) (So says my orthopedic sports doctor any way....)

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some form of Gatorade might be better than water b/c when you work out and need to rehydrate, you need to refill on electrolytes too. They keep your muscles from cramping up on you later. Awesome on the soda subtraction too! Sneaky sugars and calories hid in those cans. Iced tea sounds like a great alternative, especially since I know you do unsweetened. If you're really missing the bubbles part of soda (like I do), I drink seltzer with a flavor (more of a scent). Polar Seltzer is really good. No sugar, color, or additives. And even though it's flavored, there's no taste. more like a smell right before you drink that hits your taste buds at the same time. It fools your brain into thinking you're drinking a flavor. I liek store brands too b/c they're cheaper, lol. But I think they have a tiny bit of sugar (aspertane) in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got some Powerade Light. The sugar content of Gatorade is INSANE!! 32g of sugar per bottle! The Powerade has less than half the sugar!

    The no soda deal is going a lot easier than I thought it would. I really don't miss it. I'm going to brew some mint green tea and see how that it iced. It sounds delicious.... but who knows? I don't know if we have Polar Springs down here, but I'll look into it!

    And YES, Sara!! I'm taking a multi-vitamin, a B complex, 1000mg Vit C and 1200mg Calcium every night before bed... usually with 2 tylenol!! lol

    ReplyDelete